ResDiary is hiring an engineer to join our site reliability team. Our site reliability team works as part of the development department in ResDiary, with our main focus being on maintaining and improving our infrastructure.
ResDiary is one of the world’s leading providers of online restaurant reservations, seating over 14,400,000 diners per month, across more than 9,300 restaurants in 62 countries. Headquartered in the UK, we have team members and licensees in the UK, Ireland, Italy, South Africa, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Indonesia, the Philippines, Dubai, Australia, and New Zealand. Our booking system is made up of web applications hosted in Azure, along with restaurant and consumer facing mobile applications.
About our team
Our development team is based in our Renfield Street offices in Glasgow, the main goals of our site reliability team are to improve and simplify our existing infrastructure, to help other development teams by sharing knowledge, and to help investigate and solve incidents involving our infrastructure. As part of our day to day jobs, we use various technologies including SQL Server, Kubernetes, .NET Core, Terraform, and various scripting languages. To help illustrate the variety of our work, here are some examples of projects we have undertaken over the last year:
- Migrating an existing IIS and SQL Server application from a dedicated hosting provider to Azure. You can find out more details about the approach we took by reading our blog here.
- Converting our build infrastructure over to run in Kubernetes, and setting up Prometheus and Grafana for metrics, and Elastic Search for logging.
- Performing SQL Server performance tuning to improve performance and improve the stability of our databases.
- Starting to use terraform to provision our infrastructure, and to make DNS changes.
About the Role
Your role will be to work on projects to improve our infrastructure, to perform investigations into incidents, and to support the other development teams by providing them with advice. You will be working with us to improve the performance and stability of the ResDiary platform, so that we can improve the product for our customers. As part of your role, you will also be expected to produce high quality documentation, and to periodically give talks or demos to your colleagues to pass on knowledge.
Here are some examples of projects you might be working on:
- Working on managing all of our infrastructure via Terraform.
- Developing applications to perform tasks like database maintenance.
- Improving our CI/CD process.
- Improving our monitoring and alerting systems.
- Creating a consistent naming scheme for our Azure infrastructure, planning how to rename our existing resources, and then executing that plan.
You are someone with a combination of development and operations experience. At a minimum we are looking for people with the following:
- At least 2 years of working as part of a development team, using standard development practices like source control, code reviews, and continuous integration.
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure. At ResDiary we use Azure, but experience with other platforms like AWS or Google Cloud is also valid.
- Experience with writing scripts as part of automating tasks.
Ideally we’d also like you to have experience with at least some of the following:
- SQL performance tuning.
- C# development.
Finally, team work is crucial to us. We’re looking for someone who enjoys working with other people to achieve a goal, who cares about figuring out the best way to solve problems, but who is also respectful of other team members’ ideas and opinions.
Starting salary in the range of £30k-40k.
More reasons to work with us
- Flexible working hours and working from home available.
- Personal development days to allow you to work on something that interests you.
- Travel to work finance assistance.
- Generous employer pension contribution.
- Discounted rates at hotels and restaurants worldwide.
- 50% off gym membership at PureGym.
- Private Healthcare.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Development & training opportunities.
- Choose a book every month in our Library Project.
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining our team, submit your application (including CV, covering letter and salary expectations) to email@example.com
Closing date for applications is 31/07/2019
Please note that all candidates will be required to provide contact details for their previous two employers (if applicable) who will be contacted after first round interviews for a reference. Employment offers will be made subject to two references from your most recent employers being received – your consent will be asked for before contacting your current employer. ResDiary is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.